Follow Me:

Monday, April 2, 2018

Book Review: Heavenly Pleasures by Isla Dennes

Book Info

Genre: Chick Lit, Comedy, Romance
Links: Amazon
Meet Brooke, a self-confessed shopaholic turned reluctant brothel receptionist, as she stumbles through life, trying to live up to her parents’ and fiancé’s high expectations—at the cost of her now low self-esteem.
Who would have thought a group of working girls would help her rediscover her inner strength and finally tackle her personal demons? But at Heavenly Pleasures, the rules are made to be broken and new opportunities are just around the corner…

My Review

Highly Entertaining!!

Heavenly Pleasures is an entertaining, lighthearted comedy that will really really leave you wanting for more!!
PROS
  • GREAT STORY: After a series of unfortunate events -- a regretful splurge, an accidental click on her mobile, and an abrupt dismissal from her job -- Brooke is now facing a wall. What could be worse than that? Just one...she's also got a boyfriend who's obsessed on micro-managing her finances! A chance opportunity eventually lands her a job at a brothel as a receptionist. As it turned out, the experience was unexpectedly surprising in as much as it had been expectedly eye-popping.
  • LOVABLE FEMALE LEAD: I love Brooke's character and find myself rooting for her all throughout the book. She's nowhere near perfect -- a regular girl-next-door type who's just trying to do things she believes is right and rightfully hers. Writing from the first person viewpoint also adds to her charm, as we are privy to all her thoughts and insights.
  • LIGHTHEARTED COMEDY: This story had all the elements of a great read to me. It's what I like to come home to after a long, arduous day at the office. An escape from reality. In fact, there were so many occasions I couldn't help but laugh out loud (and hope no one else would notice). I find myself wanting to go back to read every chance I get.
  • SUPERB WRITING: I also like to commend the author for writing this story. While this seems like an easy read, it takes a certain talent to write the story for what it is. Hats off to Ms. Isla Dennes for this.
CONS
Been thinking about what I did not like so much about the book, but really couldn't say anything. Perhaps more depth into Paul's character? I think even Simon has more airtime than him.
All in all, this one is a definite keeper! Highly recommended! Can I request for a sequel?
Rating: 5 Stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment