Follow Me:

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Book Review: Hiding by Jenny Morton Potts

Book Info

Genre: Thriller
Keller Baye and Rebecca Brown live on different sides of the Atlantic. Until she falls in love with him, Rebecca knows nothing of Keller. But he’s known about her for a very long time, and now he wants to destroy her.
This is the story of two families. One living under the threat of execution in North Carolina. The other caught up in a dark mystery in the Scottish Highlands. The families’ paths are destined to cross. But why? And can anything save them when that happens?

My Review

Gripping and Intense!

Hiding is a gripping thriller that got more and more intense the more the story progressed. I admit feeling the pace of the story was a bit slow at the beginning, but if you manage to get over this (as you definitely should), you'll find it very rewarding as the story caught on to the present.
What I really liked:
  • STORY - I really liked how the author laid out all the pieces of the story, all seemingly unconnected in the beginning. There were many times I felt: "what's the point of telling this backstory in such detail other than to let us know where the character was coming from?" But like jigsaw puzzles, the author expertly weaved together all the loose ends and tied them all up towards the end. You'll definitely feel super amazed at the realization why the author included all the backstory in the beginning. It's brilliant! Now that I think about it, you can't really miss any portion or you'll be left wondering in the end where this person/thing/event came from.
  • REBECCA BROWN - The author started writing Rebecca's life when she was still a child at 10 years old. I felt this shows her innocence to the whole situation, unaware of the history and the gravity of what transpired in the past. Rebecca on all accounts did not exactly have a model childhood, nor does she have the ideal character that we want our kids to emulate, but without this vivid backstory, we wouldn't have understood her as much. I would say this fragile innocence in her is what drew me to her and got me rooting for her. I would have liked a bit more story on her present life though, just to get us to know her even further.
What Could Have Been Better (For Me)
  • ENDING: Ok firstly, to clear things up: I would say this is probably one of the best ending I've read in a while! Having said that, there's a lot of frustrations that went through my mind the first time I read it...frustrations in a good way. It's befitting of the whole story, yet...I want more! Enough said. Please get a copy and read this. It's totally worth it!
  • NARRATION: I felt the story had a bit more narration than I would have preferred. This made some portions dry for me. I usually prefer more dialogues and interactions, which probably would have increased the value of the story further. In retrospect though, this takes nothing away from the whole story.
Overall, I would rate this a 4.5 stars! I would definitely look out for future books from this author.
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Hiding Tour Graphic

0 comments:

Post a Comment